[Approved by the PALNI Board 11/15/2011]
The libraries of the Private Academic Library Network of Indiana (PALNI) collaborate to enhance the teaching and learning missions of private higher education in Indiana by optimizing resources and services while strengthening leadership and professional development.
[Approved by the PALNI Board electronic vote just prior to 11/15/2011]
PALNI and its member institutions strive to:
- Innovate in the development of resource sharing.
- Innovate in the collaboration of resources to optimize benefits for the constituencies of member libraries.
- Yield advantageous return on investment for shared technologies and services.
- Cultivate collaborative efforts among members and with other library organizations.
- Stimulate dynamic statewide developments in library information services.(e.g., open source and other technology initiative initiatives, implementation of new resource discovery tools)
- Provide a forum for professional exploration and dialog with candor and vigor about key issues in library and information services and the changing character and services of libraries.
- Foster programmatic research and development to enable libraries and library staff to develop and maintain their capacity to meet changing expectations and needs.
- Maintain agility to respond dynamically to changing environments.
[Approved by the Board September 2012 ]
Printable Version: PALNI Strategy Map- 9/2012
Strategic Initiatives & Goals
[Approved by the PALNI Board November 15, 2011]
- Strategic Initiative A: Provide and optimally configure tools to support the information and research needs of users at PALNI institutions.
- SI A: Goal 1 – Implementation and optimization of Primo [DCM, ED, PTAG, RIO, PCAG]
- SI A: Goal 2 – Optimization of existing tools and interoperability into Primo [Coordinators, PTAG, RIO, PCAG]
- SI A: Goal 3 – Set standard service levels per product across all institutions [PTAG, PCAG, PDAT]
- SI A: Goal 4 – Development and increased usage of CONTENTdm [DCM, PDAT]
- SI A: Goal 5 – Develop shared e-reference/chat [DCM, RIO]
- SI A: Goal 6 – Focus Coordinator team to prioritize and meet SI A goals. [ED, Coordinators, DCM]
- Strategic Initiative B: Support opportunities for shared processes and services enabling libraries to focus on the direct support of learning, teaching and research.
- SI B: Goal 1 – Share information on lists and wikis and other tools [DCM, ED, PTAG, RIO, PCAG, PDAT, ARCH]
- SI B: Goal 2 – Explore shared collection development [ED, PALNI Board]
- SI B: Goal 3 – Explore collaboration opportunities to create and support digital collections [PDAT, ARCH]
- SI B: Goal 4 – Develop a PALNI-wide Archive Support Program [ARCH]
- SI B: Goal 5 – Support the development of Digital Preservation plan and guidelines [ARCH]
- SI B: Goal 6 – Explore the value of shared digital curation of large institutional digital objects [ED, PTAG, PDAT, ARCH, PALNI Board]
- SI B: Goal 7 – Explore board interest in shared physical storage [PALNI Board]
- SI B: Goal 8 – Explore interest/value in shared materials processing [PALNI Board]
- SI B: Goal 9 – Clarify the core pieces/skills that exist in each member’s library [PALNI Board]
- SI B: Goal 10 – Redefine resource sharing amongst PALNI [PTAG, PALNI Board]
- SI B: Goal 11 – Participate and keep abreast in the ALI Resource Sharing Committee and FulFILLment projects to determine value and impact on PALNI [Coordinators, PALNI Board]
- Strategic Initiative C: Position PALNI to easily transition into next generation systems and services.
- SI C: Goal 1 – Coordinate and support environmental scanning efforts of all PALNI groups [DCM, ED]
- SI C: Goal 2 – Broaden collaboration by exploring what PALNI might purchase (shared) for mutual benefit and ways we can work with other organizations such as ALI [PALNI Board]
- SI C: Goal 3 – Explore partnerships with other information services groups to reduce costs and add/improve services. [ED, PALNI Board]
- SI C: Goal 4 – Explore interest in institutional repository development [PTAG, ARCH, PALNI Board]
- SI C: Goal 5 – Investigate and plan for the next generation ILS, Web-Scale, linked data [ED, PTAG, PCAG]
- SI C: Goal 6 – Improve teaching strategies and pedagogy [DCM, RIO]
- Strategic Initiative D: Enable libraries to demonstrate relevance and value to their parent institutions and beyond.
- SI D: Goal 1 – Support marketing of libraries to home institutions [DCM, ED, RIO, PALNI Board]
- SI D: Goal 2 – Investigate and support methods to improve faculty/librarian collaboration [RIO]
- SI D: Goal 3 – Assess user needs and behaviors [DCM, PALNI Board]
- SI D: Goal 4 – Investigate best practices for assessment of information literacy and instruction [RIO]
- SI D: Goal 5 – Develop relevant reports and instructions for PALNI tools to help libraries demonstrate effectiveness [PALNI Reports]
- SI D: Goal 6 – Market PALNI to external world [DCM, ED, PALNI Board]
- Strategic Initiative E: Optimize internal processes and procedures to enable PALNI to function efficiently and effectively.
- SI E: Goal 1 – Improve PALNI Financial Management and ROI [ED, PALNI Board, Finance Committee]
- SI E: Goal 2 – Consolidate and clarify current PALNI projects/processes. [DCM, ED]
- SI E: Goal 3 – Continue to improve infrastructure for communication and collaboration amongst PALNI libraries [DCM, ED]
- SI E: Goal 4 – Improve strategic planning process to increase PALNI effectiveness [ED, Chair]
- Strategic Initiative F: Broaden PALNI’s influence, perspective, and capacities by working with other organizations and institutions.
- SI F: Goal 1 – Join organizations that effect PALNI strategic priorities [ED, PALNI Board]
- SI F: Goal 2 – Work on projects with other organizations or institutions that impact PALNI strategic priorities [ED, PALNI Board]
- SI F: Goal 3 – Examine benefits/possibilities of expanding the number of supported organizations [PALNI Board]