1. Strategic Initiative: Enhance Deep Collaboration Within PALNI [Pillar: Collaborate]
A. Goal: Identify collaborative staffing opportunities and priorities to enhance services and deepen expertise.
- Action Item [Instructional Technology]: Update the PALNI Skills Inventory with relevant instructional technology and instructional design skill sets [completed fall 2017]
- Action Item [Staffing and Coordination]: Evaluate skills inventory mechanism with the goal of identifying methods to improve usage rates while maintaining usefulness
- Action Item [Staffing and Coordination]: Promote skills inventory use
- Action Item [Staffing and Coordination]: Analyze skills inventory data for skills gaps and education needs
- Action Item [Staffing and Coordination]: Identify gains and losses of resources in library areas and analyze whether it is appropriate for staffing collaboration
- Action Item [WMS Workflows]: Develop baseline workflow recommendations/best practices
- Action Item [WMS Workflows]: Support workflow analysis and implementation and look for collaborative workflow possibilities
- Action Item [WMS Workflows]: WMS Workflows and Analytics combined summit to optimize WMS analytics functionality by use of workflows which ensure data is captured
B. Goal: Explore, assess, and implement effective collaboration models to support instructional technology.
- Action Item [Engage, Staff C&C, Instructional Tech]: Develop plan for Instructional Technology collaboration with administrators.
- Action Item [Instructional Technology]: Establish core instructional technology advisory group from PALNI Instructional Technology Summit attendees [completed fall 2017]
- Action Item [Instructional Technology]: Determine the feasibility of a collaborative LMS support helpdesk [year 2017-2018]
- Action Item [Instructional Technology]: Explore collaborative vetting and support for instructional technology tools [year 2017-2018]
- Action Item [Instructional Technology]: Determine the feasibility of a shared LMS and complete a needs assessment and evaluation of LMS systems [in progress fall 2017]
- Action Item [Instructional Technology]: Explore group purchasing options for instructional technology products (e.g. TurnItIn, Quality Matters, Articulate, etc.) [TurnItIn inquiry in progress fall 2017]
- Action Item [Instructional Technology]: Determine tools and technology needed to adequately provide virtual and collaborative meetings [in progress 2017]
- Action Item [Shared Staffing, Instructional Technology]: Assess the feasibility of shared staffing options for LMS and instructional technology support across PALNI [year 2017-2018]
- Action Item [WMS Workflows]: Explore optimizing workflows using collaborative models
C. Goal: Align professional development across PALNI groups to support collaboration initiatives.
- Action Item [ED, Engage, Board]: Support leadership and development of effective strategies/techniques for library advocacy.
- Action Item [Instructional Technology]: Assess the feasibility of collaborative or contracted instructional technology support services [year 2017-2018]
- Action Item [ScholComm]: Identify and promote core scholarly communications competencies
- Action Item [Staffing and Coordination]: Craft charge to Kirsten, Noah, Megan, and Amanda to develop a communication space that tracks and provides reviews / testimonials of professional development activities and benefits.
- Action Item [WMS Workflows]: Identify and assist with documenting collaborative workflow requirements to communicate PALNI-wide needs for skill sets and expertise
D. Goal: Develop sustainability for collaborative efforts in order to keep PALNI organizationally healthy.
- Action Item [EC]: The EC and the ED will support and engage institutions interested in joining PALNI.
- Action Item: [Development]: Create documentation and facilitate knowledge transfer regarding current PALNI-hosted production applications, including, but not limited to:
- Skills Inventory
- PALNI forms
- PALNI WorldCat Discovery search forms
- General API programming
- Action Item [ScholComm Steering, PDAT, CMPT]: Create Statements of Work for PALNI teams, enabling directors to manage institutional staff resources more effectively
E. Goal: Identify necessary local and PALNI staffing requirements for sustainable PALNI collaborative initiatives.
- Action Item [Staffing and Coordination]: Analyze Statements of Work and other resources to determine current levels of PALNI collaborative work
- Action Item [Staffing and Coordination]: Lead a board discussion on whether or not we really want to pursue “minimum” staffing requirements for PALNI sustainability
F. Goal: Identify needs for consortial contracting of consulting services to add capacity and perform a study to determine in which cases to implement.
2. Strategic Initiative: Support and enhance library and institutional missions. [Pillar: Assess]
A. Goal: Investigate and support best practices in faculty and librarian collaboration to more effectively meet local institution and library missions and serve the campus community.
- Action Item [Instructional Technology]: Determine best practices in accessibility (i.e. disability captioning, etc.) [year 2017-2018]
- Action Item [Instructional Technology, ScholComm, KBLM]: Determine copyright and fair use expertise and resource identification for use in an instructional design setting [year 2017-2018]
- Action Item [Instructional Technology]: Determine best practices in online/blended course assessment in regards to instructional technology, design standards, compliance and quality measures [year 2017-2018]
- Action Item [RIO]:: Survey faculty to perform needs assessment on library/faculty collaboration. [Faculty/librarian collaboration task force]
- Action Item [RIO]: Compile data from both librarian and faculty surveys. [Faculty/librarian collaboration task force]
- Action Item [RIO]:: Develop strategy to address identified needs. [Faculty/librarian collaboration task force]
- Action Item [ROI]: Create a list of research and summative / bullet points for the four ACRL Standards we are assessing, (e.g.)
- Institutional Effectiveness
- 1.6 The library contributes to student recruitment, retention, time to degree, and academic success.
- Educational Effectiveness
- Student Learning and success
- Institutional Effectiveness
- Action Item [ScholComm, Instructional Tech, KBLM]: Determine copyright and fair use expertise and resource identification for use in an instructional design setting
- Action Item [WMS Workflows]: Survey volunteering/receiving institutions for feedback.
- Action [WMS Workflows]: Continue to advertise the program, and make matches between needs and offers – if program deemed effective.
- Action [WMS Workflows]: Develop strategy to address further identified needs.
B. Goal: Identify instructional technology resources and tools to support library instruction and assessment.
- Action Item [Instructional Technology, RIO]: Determine best practices for training and support for instructional technology tools [year 2017-2018]
- Action Item [RIO]:: Create a task force to focus on compiling best practices, tools, and expertise on Distance Education. [Distance education task force]
C. Goal: Create tools and documentation for assessing libraries to better understand our impact and our stakeholders.
- Action Item [Analytics]: Assist Communications & Marketing Director with data-gathering and development of tools and methodology to produce a PALNI Annual Report [near completion]
- Action Item [Analytics]: Assist libraries wishing to load retrospective ACRL data into ACRLMetrics
- Action Item [Analytics]: Development of data-gathering methods and documentation to support ATLA survey [near completion]
- Action Item [Instructional Technology]: Collaborate with PALNI’s Development Coordinator to explore LTI course reading/resource tool development options [in progress fall 2017]
- Action Item [RIO]:: Partner with ROI to pilot a IL survey instrument. [Information literacy assessment task force / Board ROI Committee]
- Action Item [Stakeholders, Analytics Admin]: Define scope and develop research questions for a low cost reusable survey instrument
- Action Item [ED, EC]: Determine funding and review proposed options for survey design, validation, and other services, if required.
D. Goal: Support the collection and use of analytics data for assessment and improvement of library decision making and collaborative tools, resources, and services.
- Action Item [Analytics]: Assist WorldCat Local institutions not yet configured for Adobe Site Catalyst
Action Item [Analytics]: Assist WorldCat Discovery institutions not yet configured for Google Analytics
Action Item [Analytics]: Develop/implement tools for data collection and visualization for PALNI and local library dashboards [crosslisted with 4D]
- Action Item [CMPT]: Assess Value/ROI on JSTOR EBA and Oxford and develop a method that can be used for other projects
E. Goal: Research space design and support gathering, accessing, and interpreting assessment and analytical data to improve physical space design to enhance student learning.
- Action Item [RIO]: Support PALNI libraries who are implementing the PALNI toolkit for needs assessment. [INAP team]
- Action Item [RIO]:: Provide tools and mentorship to complete local qualitative assessment on information seeking behaviors and needs. [INAP team]
- Action Item [RIO]: Perform analysis of compiled assessment data. [INAP team]
- Action Item [RIO]: Create reports of assessment for institutional stakeholders. [INAP team]
3. Strategic Initiative: Support and strengthen libraries’ ability to communicate relevance and value to stakeholders within, among, and outside PALNI. [Pillar: Communicate]
A. Goal: Create a local library marketing plan template to effectively communicate with stakeholders.
- Action Item [Engage, CMD]: Create and share the individual library story so individuals outside the library world can easily understand it and support it.
Action Item [Analytics, Engage]: Utilize data driven analysis to inform decision making on how, who, where to market.
- Action Item: [Instructional Technology, Executive Committee, Board]: Complete a needs assessment to determine the need and feasibility for a PALNI Instructional Technologist position [year 2017-2018]
- Action Item [WMS Workflows]: Provide data on usage of initiatives to participating institutions
B. Goal: Identify, develop, or advocate for relevant reports and instructions for PALNI tools to help demonstrate effectiveness, relevance, and value.
- Action Item [Analytics]: Collaborate with ROI committee to create ROI toolkit
Action Item [Analytics]: Create Report Designer Training and Best Practices LibGuide
Action Item [Analytics]: Develop documentation and map for data sources and descriptions
- Action Item [KBLM]: Work with COUNTER / vendors to ensure access to consortial reporting and reporting data needed by institutions. [KBL, Analytics]
- Configure new SUSHI vendors as they become available.
- Work with OCLC staff to improve capability for uploading COUNTER XML and CSV files to License Manager.
C. Goal: Advocate for the value of shared staffing using data to inform stakeholders.
D. Goal: Create crisis response team to support library communication to stakeholders in financial exigency situations to aid in library stability.
E. Goal: Provide direction and support to promote dialog with key opinion leaders and decision-makers within the campus communities.
F. Goal: Communicate evidence supporting the benefits of PALNI deep collaboration and innovation to key stakeholders to demonstrate impact to institutional missions, return on investment, and to help ensure sustainability of efforts.
- Action Item [EC]:Provide high-level support for Instructional Technology program development and consider the pursuit of funding outside of library budgets and engage campus administrators
- Action Item [EC]: Provide high-level support for Scholarly Communication initiative development including administrative and faculty stakeholder engagement support and funding pursuits
- Action Item [KB]: Review and assess ALI Model License for priority terms for PALNI.
- Action Item [ROI/Stakeholders]: Create a list of research and summative / bullet points for the four ACRL Standards we are assessing (Institutional Effectiveness, Recruitment and retention, Educational Effectiveness, Student Learning and success)
4. Strategic Initiative: Develop resources, space, and technology [Pillar: Develop]
A. Goal: Select, implement, and operationalize PALNI-wide Institutional Repository program to support the management of institutional academic output.
- Action Item [Instructional Technology, ScholComm]: Perform a PALNI-wide OER needs assessment [in progress fall 2017]
- Action Item [Instructional Technology]: Explore development of a program to support OER collaboration [in progress fall 2017]
- Action Item [SCD]: Direct efforts to select, implement, and operationalize PALNI-wide Institutional Repository
- Action Item [ScholComm Steering]: Reboot Institutional Repository (IR) Task Force to evaluate/select IR platform and begin the process of implementation
- Action Item [SCD, IR]: Review participation in Hyku consortial project
- Action Item [IR]: Examine the open source IR landscape and collaboration opportunities
- Action Item [IR]: Evaluate/select an IR platform
- Action Item [IR]: Develop the consortial IR piloting and implementation processes
- Action Item [IR]: Explore creation of a Digital Commons Working Group
- Action Item [PDAT]: Evaluate new IR products from the perspective of digital asset management
- Action Item [PDAT]: Develop a rubric for evaluating potential IR products for suitability for digital asset management
B. Goal: Provide collaborative support for scholarly communication initiatives on campuses to enhance the generation of academic content.
- Action Item [SCD]: Complete scholarly communications needs assessment site visits at each of the PALNI institutions. Compile and share results
- Action Item [SCD]: Lead the development of the ScholComm group action plans
- Action item [SCD, ScholComm]: Create and maintain web presence for ScholComm resources, tools, and services.
- Action Item [ScholComm]: Explore external Scholarly Communications programs, resources, and memberships to discover and implement best practices (e.g. ACRL Institute on Scholarly Communication, Confederation of Open Access Repositories (COAR))
- Action Item [ScholComm]: Develop a support model for open access publishing
- Action Item [ScholComm]: Develop a faculty scholarly communications needs assessment toolkit
- Action Item [ScholComm]: Plan and hold a PALNI Scholarly Communications Summit
- Action Item [ScholComm, Instructional Tech]: Explore development of a program to support OER collaboration
- Action Item [ScholComm Steering, Instructional Tech]: Establish Affordable Education Initiatives (AEI) task force to assess needs and begin definition of a PALNI-wide AEI program
- Action Item [SCD]: Direct efforts to implement a PALNI Affordable Education Initiatives program
- Action Item [AEI]: Complete OER/AEI environmental scan and investigate collaboration opportunities
- Contribute specific AEI elements to a faculty scholarly communications needs assessment survey toolkit
- Create student survey regarding education costs. Work with INAP to implement
- Survey and review current PALNI OER/AEI adoptions and leverage involvement/experiences/best practices for future program ideas
- Evaluate other consortial AEI programs for peer-modeling and partnership potential
- Evaluate consortial membership opportunities such as OTN, SPARC, etc.
- Action Item [AEI]: Create Affordable Education Initiatives implementation toolkit
- Create list of OER repositories
- Develop outreach strategies
- Document distinction between Affordable and Open; research and recommend best practices for integration of library materials, “faux-pen” resources, and licensed content in curriculum to reduce costs
- Investigate related copyright tools and training opportunities.
- Research and recommend best practices for integration of OER materials in discovery system
- Action Item [AEI]: Evaluate the need and opportunities for an OER repository and/or editing platform
- Action Item [AEI]: Participate in PALNI Scholarly Communications Summit to inform and foster participation in Affordable Education Initiatives
- Action Item [AEI]: Make recommendations for a PALNI Affordable Education Initiatives pilot program and continued structure of AEI group
C. Goal: Support enhanced resource sharing opportunities for print and digital materials through applications, services, and best practices in order to ensure continued high levels of service for resource sharing.
- Action Item [Analytics]: Collaborate with Fulfillment to create PALShare reports and dashboards to improve efficiency and assessment possibilities
Action Item [DevCoor]:Continue to develop and implement OneButton
- Action Item [Fulfill, FulfillC]: Create Statement of Work near completion
- Action Item [Fulfill]: Revamp and update PALShare manual. This includes adding configuration settings (2017-2018)
- Action Item [Fulfill C, Fulfil]: Create Vision Document for Worldshare ILL/Tipasa (see oclc wms group circulation design (2017-2018)
- Action Item [Fulfill C, Fulfil]: Provide feedback and input on OCLC Tipasa development Assist with those institutions who choose migration to Tipasa
- Action Item [PALShare]: Identify needs and push OCLC to meet necessary improvements to PALShare to support all PALNI institutions
- Action Item [Fulfill C, Fulfil]: Create Deflection Policy best practices
- Action Item [Analytics, Analytics Coord, Fulfill]: Create necessary PALShare reports and dashboards to improve efficiency and assessment possibilities
- Action Item [CMPT, Fulfill, KB/LM, Instructional Tech]: In cooperation with the Fulfillment Group, review current Ebook lending mechanisms like Occam’s reader to determine viability and benefits to PALNI-supported organizations
D. Goal: Build a collaborative development team within PALNI to create software, tools, and technology solutions in order to leverage in-house expertise.
- Action Item [Analytics]: Develop/implement tools for data collection and visualization for PALNI and local library dashboards [Cross-listed with 2D]
- Action Item [Development]: Develop an open-source LTI application that embeds WorldCat Discovery search and retrieval in course management systems (CMS).
- Action Item [Devel, KB, KBL]: Assess and advocate for enhanced APIs for KB/LM. Review Knowledge Base API and License Manager API for priority data points the APIs could provide. See https://platform.worldcat.org/api-explorer/apis/kbwcapi and https://platform.worldcat.org/api-explorer/apis/WSLMAN.
- Action Item [Devel, DevelC, KB, KBL, CMD]: Create dashboarding for shared resources and COUNTER data.
- Review support needs for SUSHI harvesting set-up and COUNTER XML upload for PALNI libraries.
- Recommend best practices for collecting SUSHI, COUNTER and non-COUNTER usage statistics.
E. Goal: Create KB/LM documentation to facilitate best use of resources.
- Action Item [KB, KBL]: Create KB documentation.
- Review KB/LM LibGuides and OCLC documentation to identify missing documentation.
- Create videos to document processes as necessary.
- Develop best practices outline based on KB/LM fall advisory group meeting.
- Action Item [KB, KBL]: Document benefits of license tracking locally and consortially using License Manager.
- Action Item [KB]: Create vision document for Collection Manager and KB to guide conversations with OCLC staff about advancing PALNI development priorities.
- Schedule online advisory group meeting with OCLC to review the vision document.
F. Goal: Develop a shared collection management plan including but not limited to selection, acquisitions, and storage in order to best address local collection needs and expand access to resources.
- Action Item [CMPT]: Assess Value/ROI on JSTOR EBA and Oxford and develop a method that can be used for other projects
- Action Item [CMPT]: Work with other consortia for collaborative acquisitions
- Action Item [CMPT]: Work with the ALI and NA-wide shared print summits to develop a statewide and North America shared print infrastructure
- Action Item [CMPT]: Evaluate opportunities to provide streaming media content including, HBO, Netflix, and other entities that currently don’t have educational licenses, Swank, Kanopy, Health Science
- Action Item [CMPT]: Craft feedback to Knowledge Unlatched about gaps in applicability for smaller colleges
- Action Item [SCD, CMPT]: Gather and analyze data on rare monographic material that PALNI schools do not want to retain to determine scope for ownership transfer or digitization
G. Goal: Pursue grants to increase funding to both PALNI and individual institutions.
- Action Item [AEI]: Determine opportunities to pursue grant funding for Affordable Education Initiatives
- Action Item [SCD]: Develop the project management process to identify, manage, and fund the digitization presentation in Internet Archive and/or Hathitrust of rare monographic materials
- Action Item [SCD]: Explore digitization grant opportunities for non-monographic archival material
- Action Item [Staffing and Coordination]: Develop grant seeking strategy and coordination across all PALNI groups to ensure robust applications and reduce competition between grant applications.
- Action Item [Staffing and Coordination]: Develop a grant skill development program
- Action Item [Staffing and Coordination]: Survey to determine what grant seeking resources are available to PALNI libraries (e.g. Foundation Center]
- Action Item [Staffing and Coordination] Consider whether PALNI needs a grant writer position, coordinator, or contract
Strategic Plan Initiatives and Goals Approved July 2017
PALNI Strategy Map