The Private Academic Library Network of Indiana (PALNI) seeks an innovative, collaborative, experienced individual with high initiative to serve as Strategic Communications Director. The ideal candidate will have experience with higher education and library communications, communication strategy development, and articulating the value and impact of library services. Reporting to the Executive Director, the Strategic Communications Director (StratComm) is responsible for overall internal and external communication management and strategy and the supervision of the Communications and Member Support Coordinator.
About The Private Academic Library Network of Indiana (PALNI)
PALNI (see http://www.palni.edu) is a thirty-year-old 501c3 non-profit consortium with a strong track record of providing its twenty-three Indiana academic institutions with library information systems, technologies, and a deep collaboration framework. PALNI employees work from remote locations and meet regularly in central Indiana. See the PALNI Mission, Vision, Values, the Strategic Framework, and the PALNI organizational chart for more information about PALNI.
Job Title: Strategic Communications Director
- Develops and supports the internal and external communication strategy for PALNI objectives in conjunction with the Executive Director and the board
- Supports the PALNI library directors by promoting and communicating the value and impact of library expertise, services, and resources
- Develops promotional and communication pieces, stakeholder personas, shareable resources, and the like for PALNI, its collaborative teams, and its libraries for both internal and external audiences
- Creates usable templates and content for marketing and communications for the supported libraries
- Develops and shares expertise on crisis management communication
- Identifies PR opportunities and writes and distributes press releases/media relations
- Manages the design and maintenance of the PALNI website, social media, and the internal communications platforms
- Maintains professional expertise and industry knowledge through conferences and active involvement in external organizations related to PALNI strategic goals
- Meets regularly with PALNI staff, provides input on PALNI priorities and strategic direction, and assists in developing best practices
- Serves on the PALNI administrative directors team
- Supervises Communications and Member Support Coordinator
- Other duties as assigned by the Executive Director
- Bachelor’s Degree in Communications or related field to be completed by start date
- Experience working with academic libraries, higher education, or demonstrated understanding of issues in higher education
- Demonstrated ability to conceptualize, articulate, prioritize, and implement short and long-range communication goals
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, along with the ability to listen, understand, and work effectively with others, build trust, maintain effective relationships, and influence others to further the mission of supported institutions
- Prior success in managing projects and effectively balancing competing priorities and deadlines
- Software knowledge of Google applications (Docs, Sheets, Drive, etc.), design software (Canva required, others such as Affinity or Adobe optional), and WordPress
- Comfortable working with online communications tools such as Zoom
- Ability to work independently and as a team member
- Demonstrated professional development activity
- Comfort with a fast-paced work environment
- Ability to travel when necessary within Indiana
- Ability to work remotely in a quiet location with robust broadband internet available PALNI provides a subsidy for phone and internet costs
- Previous consortial work
- Some experience in developing or delivering crisis communications
- Visual arts skills: Graphics/data visualization skills, photography, video, web design skills
- Experience with multiple types of academic libraries or institutions
- Residency in Indiana is strongly encouraged. Being within driving distance to Indianapolis is required
PALNI Executive Director
Communications and Member Support Coordinator
Exempt, remote work, some travel required, salaried at either 30 or 40 hours per week on average
Salary is in the range of $45,000-$75,000 depending on experience and hours/week. PALNI provides generous benefits, including up to a 10% match retirement plan, medical, dental, vision, disability, life insurance, 12-17 holidays per year, 12 sick days per year (accruing), and 20 days vacation per year (non-accruing), and family leave.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Diversity and Culture
The most productive and satisfying work environment is one in which work is accomplished in a spirit of mutual trust and respect. That trust and respect should show by the manner of interaction between our employees, contractors, participants (those participating in PALNI activities), and people with whom we collaborate. We value positive communication and conversations. We expect people to have different opinions – we all come from different backgrounds and have had different experiences. Those differences allow us to see things from different angles so that our organization can grow and thrive in a constantly changing culture. We do not and will not treat someone differently on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, gender identity, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of our activities or operations. See our Respect in the Workplace policy.
Application and Interview Process
Please submit a cover letter, resume/vita, and portfolio* via email to PALNI Executive Director Kirsten Leonard at email@example.com. In the cover letter, tell us how your experience relates to this position and explain your experience or interest in library collaboration in the cover letter. Procedural questions may also be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
*Submit a PDF portfolio or a link to an online portfolio highlighting 5-6 examples of your work in the communications and marketing field. Possible examples include but are not limited to press releases, marketing materials, policies/plans created, videos, fact sheets, infographics, event coverage, and the like.
Interview Timeline and Process
Review of applications will begin on October 29th and will continue until filled.
Initial interviews will be conducted via Zoom. References will be requested before in-person interviews.